Cisco SM-X-1T3/E3 Enhanced Service Module
The Cisco SM-X-1T3/E3 1-port T3/E3 enhanced service module (SM-X) is a software-configurable T3/E3 product for Second Generation Integrated Services Routers (ISR G2) and the Cisco 4451-X Integrated Services Router. This flexible enhanced service module enables you to switch between T3 and E3 applications with a single Cisco IOS command.
The SM-X-1T3/E3 enhanced service module supports a single-port T3 or E3 with an integrated channel service unit (CSU) and a data service unit (DSU). It supports High-Level Data Link Control (HDLC), PPP, and Frame Relay.
The SM-X-1T3/E3 includes the following features:
- Single port—universal T3/E3 version
- Clear and subrate support in both T3 and E3 modes
- Online insertion and removal (OIR) support
- Onboard processing of Cisco Message Definition Language (MDL) and performance monitoring
- Support for scrambling and subrate can be independently or simultaneously enabled in each DSU mode
- Support for full T3 and E3 line rates
- Support for RFC1407–MIB
T3/E3 Applications and Positioning
The SM-X-1T3/E3 enhanced service module provides high-speed performance for advanced, fully converged networks supporting a wide array of applications and services such as security and advanced QoS for voice and video. T3/E3 and subrate T3/E3 connectivity optimizes WAN bandwidth for deploying new applications and service delivery. All supported platforms are capable of supporting full line rate performance but impose varying levels of CPU overhead and therefore affect the overall platform performance.
SM-X-1T3/E3 Branch Office Positioning and Support Comparison