Dell PowerEdge R720 Intel Xeon E-2 E5-2609v2 Processors 2.5GHz 14x 600GB 10K SAS
Performance and Flexibility
The Dell PowerEdge R720 server is a two processor, 2U platform that is extremely adaptable and expandable for highly virtualization environments. Supporting either Intel’s Xeon E5-2600 or E5-2600 v2 processor family, DDR3 memory, and optional dual RAID controllers, this system can easily handle mission critical workloads servicing the needs of e-commerce, data warehouses, virtual desktop infrastructure (VDI) databases, and high performance computing as a data node.
This server supports memory speeds of up to 1866 MHz. Dell’s patented Fault Resilient Memory creates a protected memory zone on the hypervisor without dedicating half the system’s available memory. DPAT, Dell’s Processor Acceleration Technology minimizes the effect of Intel’s Turbo Boost transitions, which can increase mechanical latency, and allows administrators to fix the number of active processor cores providing smoother performance. In addition, Dell’s PERC RAID controller with the CacheCade feature improves overall read operations for significant improvements in performance.
CacheCade v1.0 enables greater performance and accelerates read intensive applications and is supported on the PERC H710p and H810 cards with 1GB of memory. With CacheCade you can create as many drives as you want and IOPS read rates increase dramatically compared to systems with no CacheCade drive. Currently, Dell’s CacheCade v1.0 only allows read operations to be cached. Version 2.0 promises increased functionality and performance.
The entire family of Xeon E5 2600 and E5 2600 v2 processors are supported enabling administrators to choose between Advanced, Standard, and Basic models depending on budget and performance needs.
Advanced I/O Capabilities
The Dell R720 supports 24 DIMM modules in a two processor configuration. With all 24 DIMM sockets fitted with 32GB memory modules, a maximum of 764GB of memory is available. Six hot-swap fans keeps the system running cool. It also supports Dell’s Fresh Air initiative allowing systems to run reliably at higher temperatures of up to 45 Centigrade or 113 degrees Fahrenheit. Other manufacturer’s systems are typically only designed to operate reliably up to 35 degrees centigrade or 93 degree Fahrenheit. The Fresh Air Initiative can help customers significantly reduce their heating & cooling costs, carbon footprint, and the risk posed by thermal climb after a power failure.
To maximize I/O and storage, the system can house up to 16 internal hard drives. Seven integrated PCI-e Gen 3.0 expansion slots are available and can support two double wide GPU cards to accelerate your most demanding data analytics delivering faster, more efficient compute performance.
Different chassis configurations
The Dell R720 is available in several different chassis configurations depending on your storage and performance needs.
2.5″ Chassis with up to 8 HDs
2.5″ Chassis with up to 16 HDs
2.5″ Chassis with up to 8+8 HDs and 2 controllers
2.5″ Chassis with up to 8 HDs and 4 PCIe SSD Drives
3.5″ Chassis with up to 4 HDs and Software RAID
3.5″ Chassis with up to 8 HDs
Systems Management Tools
Integrated and optional management tools help you get the most out of your system. For local management, OpenManage monitoring and management software is compatible with other third-party systems management solutions to allow for a single point of control over your network environment.
Remote management is handled by Dell’s integrated iDRAC 7 Express Level Management Technology which comes standard negating the need to install additional software. Upgrading to iDRAC 7 Enterprise allows you to maintain complete server control and access your server from any remote location using a browser. 8GB and 16GB vFlash media offer optional upgrades to your remote management.
Featuring a complete internal re-design compared to the R710 model, the Dell PowerEdge R720 server is a stand out performer when used for typical compute server applications. However, Dell’s adoption of the latest Express Flash technology significantly increases performance and separates this platform from other comparable products on the market.
Dell PowerEdge R720 Server – Specifications
- Intel® Xeon® processor E5-2600 or E5-2600v2 product family
- 2 x Intel QuickPath Interconnect (QPI) links; 6.4 GT/s; 7.2 GT/s; 8.0 GT/s
- 2.5MB per core; core options: 4, 6, 8, 10, 12
- Microsoft® Windows Server® 2012
- Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1, x64 (includes Hyper-V®)
- Novell® S– USE® Linux Enterprise Server
- Red Hat® Enterprise Linux®
- Virtualization options:
- Citrix® XenServer®
- VMware® vSphere® ESXi ™
- Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization®
- Intel C602
- Up to 1.5TB (24 DIMM slots) 2GB/4GB/8GB/16GB/32GB/64GB DDR3 up to 1866MT/s
- Maximum Internal Storage: 32TBs
HOT-PLUG HARD DRIVE OPTIONS
- 2.5″ PCIe SSD, SAS SSD, SATA SSD, SAS (15K, 10K), nearline SAS (7.2K), SATA (7.2K), SAS 512n (15K)
- 3.5″ SAS (15K), nearline SAS (7.2K), SATA (7.2K)
- Self-Encrypting Drives available
- Up to eight 3.5″ drives or up to sixteen 2.5″ drives
- 7 PCIe slots:
- One x16 full-length, full-height
- Three x8 full-length, full-height
- Three x8 half-length, half-height
- Internal controllers:
- PERC S110 (SW RAID)
- PERC H310
- PERC H710
- PERC H710P
- External HBAs (RAID):
- PERC H810
- External HBAs (non-RAID):
- 6Gbps SAS HBA
- Broadcom® 5720 quad-port 1GbE Base-T (no TOE or iSCSI offload)
- Intel I350 quad-port 1GbE Base-T (no TOE or iSCSI offload)
- Intel X540 dual-port 10GbE Base-T with 2 x 1GbE (FCoE capability enabled on the 10GbE ports)
- Broadcom 57800S dual-port 10GbE Base-T with 2 x 1GbE (TOE and iSCSI offload available on 10GbE ports)
- Broadcom 57800S dual-port 10GbE SFP+ with 2 x 1GbE (TOE and iSCSI offload available on 10GbE ports)
- Broadcom 57840S quad-port 10GbE SFP+ Rack NDC (NPAR1.0, SRIOV, DCB, iSCSI and FCoE offloads and CEM)
- Titanium efficiency, hot-plug redundant 750W power supply
- Platinum efficiency, hot-plug redundant 495W, 750W or 1100W power supplies
- Auto-ranging power supplies
High-efficiency, hot-plug, redundant power supplies; hot-plug drive bays; TPM; dual internal SD support; hot-plug redundant fan; optional bezel; luggage-tag; ECC memory, interactive LCD screen; extended thermal support; ENERGY STAR® compliant, extended power range; switch agnostic partitioning (SWAP)
- Remote Management
- iDRAC7 with Lifecycle Controller
- iDRAC7 Express (default), iDRAC7 Enterprise (upgrade option)
- 8GB vFlash media (upgrade option), 16GB vFlash media (upgrade optional)
- IPMI 2.0 compliant
- Dell OpenManage™ Essentials
- Dell OpenManage Power Center
- Dell OpenManage Connections:
- Dell OpenManage Integration Suite for Microsoft® System Center
- Dell plug-in for VMware® vCenter™
- HP Operations Manager, IBM Tivoli® Netcool®, and CA Network and Systems Management
- ReadyRails II sliding rails for tool-less mounting in 4-post racks with square or unthreaded round holes or tooled mounting in 4-post threaded hole racks, with support for optional tool-less cable management arm
- ReadyRails static rails for tool-less mounting in 4-post racks with square or unthreaded round holes or tooled mounting in 4-post threaded and 2-post (Telco) racks
- Product Safety, EMC and Environmental Datasheets
- Dell Regulatory Compliance Home Page
- Dell and the Environment
The Dell PowerEdge R720 has earned the ENERGY STAR® Enterprise Server designation.
ENERGY STAR and the ENERGY STAR mark are registered U.S. marks.